Over 80,000 .EU domains owned by UK residents are suspended due to new rules imposed because of Brexit.
EURid, the registrar for .eu domains, is implementing measures that got here into impact on January 1 stating .eu domains should be owned by residents or organizations situated within the European Union.
EURid started notifying UK registrants about these new measures coming into impact again in October:
“On 1 October 2020, EURid has notified by email all UK registrants and their registrars that they will lose their eligibility as of 1 January 2021 unless they demonstrate their compliance with the .eu regulatory framework by updating their registration data before 31 December 2020.”
In 2018, lengthy earlier than EURid despatched its first discover, the European Commission instructed that .eu domains owned by UK residents may very well be cancelled on the finish of the Brexit transition interval. Three yr later that day has come.
Domains suspended on January 1, 2021, can now not be used for web sites or electronic mail addresses. Registrants of suspended domains have till April to show they’re eligible to maintain the area.
As per the brand new rules, the next are eligible to maintain .eu domains:
- A Union citizen, independently of their place of residence;
- A pure one that shouldn’t be a Union citizen and who’s a resident of a Member State;
- An enterprise that’s established within the Union; or
- An organisation that’s established within the Union, with out prejudice to the appliance of nationwide regulation.
After April 1, UK registrants who can not show eligibility could have their area moved to “withdrawn” standing. A withdrawn area can not assist any service.
On January 1 of subsequent yr, domains within the “withdrawn” standing can be revoked from ineligible UK registrants and develop into typically accessible.
Continue Reading Below
Up till the time domains are withdrawn, registrants could have the chance to show they’re eligible to preserve them.
That might be achieved by updating contact info and declaring:
- You’re a legally established entity in one of many eligible EU27 or EEA Member States; or
- Your residence in one of many eligible EU27 or EEA Member States; or
- Your citizenship of one of many EU27 Member States (info on how to up to date your knowledge based mostly on citizenship)
Domain names can be reinstated as quickly as affected registrants replace their contact info. EURid says 81,000 domains from 50,000 customers have been suspended.
It would seem UK registrants of .eu domains noticed today coming. The variety of UK-based domains ending in .eu reportedly shrunk from over 300,000 in 2017 to 81,000 initially of this yr.
Continue Reading Below
That quantity will quickly be decreased to zero. However, it’s not all unfavourable. There’s alternative right here as 81,000 new domains will quickly be up for grabs by residents and organizations situated within the EU.
Sources: EURid.eu (1, 2, three)